Getting to know the Ferrari 296 GTS in its native Italy, it’s really not worth missing. After hanging out and undergoing unification with him. Two words emerged: radical and full of innovation. Changing the paradigm that supercars must always refer to large engine cubications and engine configurations of up to 12 cylinders. But along with the times, regulations and electrification trends. Manufacturers turn their brains, formulating to produce the best car, but with a compact engine. Thus, the Ferrari 296 GTS appeared as the answer.
Just so you know, GTS is an acronym for Gran Turismo Spider. Above the frame sits a 3-liter engine plus a turbo induction, with the latest V6 configuration, 120 degrees. Looks small, but make no mistake. The energy released is more violent than the conventional Ferrari model, 812 Superfast (800 PS and 718 Nm). Let’s compare Getting to know the Ferrari 296 GTS with the data below.
- V6 engine – 120° turbo dry sump
- Overall displacement of 2,992 cm3
- Compression ratio 9.4:1
- High voltage battery capacity 7.45 kWh
- Bore and stroke 88 mm x 82 mm
- Max. ICE* 663PS power output
- Max. the hybrid system’s power output is 830 PS at 8,000 rpm
- Max. torque of 740 Nm at 6,250 rpm
- Max. revs 8500 rpm
It can be seen, in hybrid mode, the 296 GTS can issue a total power of 830 PS. According to Maranello, he delivers levels of performance previously unthinkable, innovative, unique and exhilarating. It’s not just a matter of a strong pacemaker heart, capable of beating more than 812 Superfast. But Ferrari wanted to underline the tradition and transformation of the latest environmentally friendly engine from Maranello. CO2 output based on WLTP, only 149 g/km.
Well, during testing in Italy. There are at least five things that are the basic factors in providing driving pleasure:
- Laterals. The 296 GTS provides good steering wheel response. Communication between the steering wheel and tires is perfect. This certainly supports pleasant handling.
- Longitudinal: V6 engine – 120° turbo dry provides agile acceleration. Just imagine, it shines from 0-100 km/h in just 2.9 seconds.
- Gear Shifting. Gear shifting time feels very fast. The sensation of surfing is even more enjoyable through gear coherence with gear movement.
- Braking. The braking of the 296 GTS is very optimal. To move from 200-0 km / h only about 107 meters. Stopping distances on dry roads are significantly shortened by the ABS EVO system. Also included is integration with the 6w-CDS sensor. Ensuring the braking force is getting steady when invited to accelerate fast.
- Sounds. The roar of the engine at high RPM is also round. No less than the naturally aspirated model.
Then what’s interesting, it can be used in eDrive mode. The car can reach speeds of up to 135 km/h without using ICE. Then it can cover a distance of 25 km. The engine will support the electric motor when more driving performance is needed. The transition between electric and hybrid driving modes is managed very smoothly. Nothing else, to ensure smooth and constant acceleration. As well as providing energy as early as possible.